Photos from the Breeders Circle
View of the scene at the Breeders Circle Show at the DuPage
The folowing pictures were taken at the Breeders Circle Show
in Chicago on September 21st, 1996. These are all fish that were
being offered for sale. I am going from memory on who brought
what, so forgive any inaccuracies.
- Blue Oranda (18KB)
- This is a George Spencer fish, though Jim Reese also had
some nice blues.
- Baby ryukins (35KB)
- I would guess these little guys are 8 to 12 weeks old.
Their parents are red and whites; you can see some signs
of some of these babies starting to color up. These,
along with a tank of baby calico ranchus, were brought by
- Red and Calico Bubble Eyes (37KB)
- George Spencer brought these bubble eyes, which I was
happy about; I've been looking for a photo op for a
while. Now I just need to find someone with Celestials.
- Red and White Comets (14KB)
- Al Foster brought these youngsters. Their parents are
supposedly from one of the emperor's ponds in Japan. Very
pretty, note the tancho-marked one.
- Panda Demekin (10KB)
- One of Sue Miller's imported fish. The fish appears
shorter than it actually is, due to distortion from the
tank. Black and white marked fish are often refered to as
"panda" marked; this is a notoriously unstable
- Hamanishiki (10KB)
- Another Sue Miller fish. The Hamanashiki is a pearlscale
with growths above each eye.
- Brown Telescope Eye with Red Pompoms
- A chocolate demekin with red narial bouquets. For me, a
surprisingly attractive fish, based on the contrasting
colors. Also from Sue Miller.
- Two Red and White Ryukins (21KB)
- Almost everybody had Ryukins for sale; these beauties are
- Young White Veiltail (21KB)
- The raison d'etre for the breeders circle; the elusive
veiltail. While this young Al Foster fish is not an
exceptional fish, it clearly shows the varietal
characteristics of the remarkably high dorsal and
flowing, square-ended tail.